Tuesday, January 31, 2012

We are NOT going for Jesus...

We are going WITH Him.  
We are going to do His work right by His side, just as He will be along ours. He tells us so in Matthew 29:20: "And surely I am WITH YOU always, to the very end of the age".



These were the words that struck me last night as I sat in on the meeting where I'd eventually meet the rest of my team.  About 50-60 people gathered in the room where display boards and colorful pamphlets had been neatly placed, along with 3 ring binders with the names of the places where the teams would go.  Red for Europe, Orange for North America, Blue for Latin America, Green for Africa and Yellow for Asia.  Of course, we were told to sit at any open chair at a table, as they were not yet splitting us up by group.



I chose to sit at one of the tables, and in speaking with those there, found myself surrounded by both veteran mission trippers, and newcomers as well, which made me very comfortable.  I was secretly hoping that my own group would be the same in make up; that we'd have veterans, as well as a first timer to share my experiences with.


After a prayer and an icebreaker, we sat and discussed some of the basics of the trips.  I found that I had been one of the first people chosen to go on one of the trips (I turned my application in as soon as I could after they had been released), and that they had still been interviewing people for the trips, as late as just before the meeting began.


One of the biggest things we talked about last night was health issues.  Not only do we want everyone healthy during the trip, but we want to make sure that everyone stays healthy enough to go!  Immediately, I put a reminder in my phone to make an appointment with my own doctor, so that I could get a check up, and make sure that my asthma is in check before I go.  I also need to see a dentist, since we all know that one little toothache can kill anyone's good time anywhere in the world.  I am so grateful that we have doctors in my church who are not only willing to share this information and their services with us, but are actually going on these trips with us, to serve just as we will.  We were given reminders and tips (with more to come, I'm sure) to keep all original prescription containers (boxes for my inhaler and daily meds), to pack those in carry ons, to bring about 25% more than we think we will need; bring a personal first aid kit and pain medications; walk around on long airplane flights to prevent bloodclots, etc., etc.

Also, explained briefly, was the issue of fundraising.  While each person is to make efforts to raise their own funds, we are working as a team.  For instance, let's say that I work hard, but only get 75% of my funds raised.  Another person on my team may raise more than enough, and then would be able to share their donations with me, ensuring that I am able to participate fully.  Your donations will not go to waste.  They will be used fully, to ensure that all needs are taken care of.  Also, periodically, we will be given a tally of how we are doing (financially), as well as who gave (amounts don't matter here!)...so please, if you plan to donate in my name (or for my team) share with us who you are.  I would personally like to thank you for your gift, and keep you up to date on what is being done with your funds.


Finally, we were asked to gather in our groups to finally meet and greet one another...I was so FIRED UP to meet mine!  I had already been given the head's up that we'd have a pretty small group, but that's cool with me.  I see it as an opportunity to be a tight knit group.  Last year, there were 81 people who went on one of the trips, so I am sure that not every person got to have one on one time with all of their travel mates.


Disclaimer:  Once meeting my group, I did inform them of this blog, and asked their permission to use them in the blog.  I may or may not use their real names, but the experiences we share, along with some of their personal thoughts will be used.  From each of them, I was given permission, though at any time, if they are uncomfortable with the information I release, I may edit the blog with revised information.


As I mentioned before, I knew of my team coordinator, as she was one of my interviewers. "Liz" is someone I have seen around the church quite often, as she serves in great capacities there.  Her son "Taylor" will also join us on the trip, though he wasn't at the meeting last night.  Taylor is completing his third year in college now, and joined our group by phone last night.  This is cool, because it will be the first trip that Liz and Taylor have ever taken together, and he is using it as a learning experience.  Taylor and I met about a year and a half ago at the North American Christian Convention, where we both served as a part of the Worship Team; I as a singer, and he as a musician.  He's a cool and talented guy, and I look forward to sharing this experience with them.

"Jeff" is another servant I have seen around church, and can now include a name with his face.  He is going on this trip because he wants to serve the Mudrik's themselves.  He once went on a business trip to Rome, and had some downtime, so he wanted to find some missionaries in the area.  After contacting home to find out who was in the area, he met the family, went to dinner with them, and found out that they had never had anyone come and seek them out, just to show them support.  "Cheryl" is another woman going on our team that shares in this feeling with Jeff; she has the heart to go and serve the Mudrik's, and provide them with whatever support they need.  After reading the Mudrik's Blog, I, too, feel compelled to go, and be for them whatever they may need (my daughter is also wanting to serve them, and suggests that we send some goodies over for their children!).
"Phil" has been a member of our church for years, and actually taught one of the classes The Mudrik's attended when they were members of our church, back when they were newlyweds (before the children and the move to Prague), and has a relationship with them already, and can't wait to go and serve them, and see what their life is like, now that they are parents, and teachers.


"Becci" is another who, like myself, had intentions on going on another trip, but God felt that she'd better serve with the team in Prague.  As it turns out, He knows best, because she LOVES carpentry and building, which could be alot of what we will be doing on this trip.


As it stands right now, this is our team.  Right now, there are about 70 people being sent on the Mountain On 5 (MO5) mission, but there are a few more still being interviewed (Reminds me of Luke 10*!).  We may have one or two more join us within the next week, but its still looking like we will be the smallest group being sent out.  I look forward to getting to know these folks, growing as a team with them, and preparing our hearts to go out into this world as The Hands and Feet of Him, collectively.  When you support me, in finances or in prayer, you also support them, as well as The Mudrik's.  We look forward to adding your name to our team.  

Let's Go, Team Red!


So, is there anything else you'd like to know about our team?  Anything you'd like to know about The Mudrik family?  Myself?  Our trip to the Czech Republic?  Please ask!  Comment away!  Let me know what you think, feel, or suggest anything you'd like me to blog about.  You are taking this journey with Team Red, and I want to make sure you feel welcomed.  You are the reason why this blog is here, as YOU are The Hands and Feet of Him as well!  Comment away!

*Luke 10:1-3: After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3 Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment