Monday, January 9, 2012

We may not have a lot, but we have more than enough

Tonight was my first time going to a meeting of our GO (Global Outreach) Ministry.  This is the ministry that runs the Glocal Missions program at my church.  It was an eye opening experience, that's for sure.

As I walked in, I saw a few people that I knew by face, but had never really connected with.  This is quite possible, since my church has close to five thousand members.  We have a Saturday afternoon service, 3 services on Sunday mornings at our main campus, and 2 other services at our satellite campus to serve all of these members.  Even though I am on the worship team, and see alot of the members from the stage, I still don't know every face...so I was a little nervous and shy...which is completely out of my character!  Luckily, one of the few faces that I did know invited me to a place at their table, and began to talk with me, and introduced me to others at the table.


I looked around the room, and saw the information about the different missions trips that were being planned for they year, and instantly got excited.


Anyway...that is not the point of this entry...my heart is.


At this monthly meeting, a meal is served.  I learned that every time the meal is offered, it is from a different region of the world.  Tonight's meal was made by a couple in the church who were originally from Burma.  They offered us a traditional Thai meal, something I have always tried to stay away from, thinking that it would be spicy (and I can't handle spice).  It was AMAZING!  Certainly, I have had a mind change there.  Each person was asked to give an offering of $2.20.  An odd number, I thought...and then it was explained.  It is based on Colossians 2:20, "Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules". Of course, the scriptures go on to explain what these rules were, such as not touching, not tasting...so since dying to self, and being born again into Christ, we no longer have to follow  the rules of the world.  We are supposed to handle and taste and touch all of these things that God has made...

okay...I am getting a little off topic.  Anyway, $2.20.  First of all, most of the world can feed itself on $2.20 a day.  A DAY!  I often can't even spend that little on coffee, let alone an entire meal.  And it was a great and filling meal at that...

And I am full as I type this.  Which makes me think...I just paid $2.20 for a meal, and got my fill.  What a blessing to be able to go to bed, and sleep comfortably, versus going to bed to forget about hunger.  

Makes me think of other things I take for granted...like how I am overweight.  How my gas tank is between a quarter of a tank and half.  How I went to college, and now go to work everyday to take care of my family's needs.  How I am a single mom, taking care of my 3 kids. 

I could be like others in this world.  I am overweight because I have plenty to eat...whereas there are others
who don't.  My lack of gas for the week means I have a car...92% of the rest of the world does not.  I
went to school and got a degree to get a good job...while there are kids around the world who cannot go 
to school, because they need to work.  And I may be a single mom to my kids...but at least they are not 
orphaned and left to fend for themselves.

I have been blessed with abundance, even when it doesn't look/feel like it.
1 Timothy 1: 13 Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown 
mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. 14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me 
abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 Here is a trustworthy saying that 
deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

2 comments: